Repurposed Curtain to Bench Top

Hi everyone!  I was on Spring Break last week.  My kids had lots of fun playing with cousins, while I was working hard, and having fun too!  I helped my sister with her closet/laundry room.  It. is. Amazing!!  I can't wait to share it with you!

For now,  I am excited to show you my Repurposed Curtain to Bench Top.  It was first shared at My Repurposed Life in February, did I mention I love Gail?  If you don't know her, you probably should, Cause she is awesome.  Ok, just making sure...

I have always wanted to try upholstery and this was my first attempt.  I have looked at upholstery fabric in the stores and I am always shocked at the price, so I decided that I could do it the thrifty way.

I found this cute little bench at the Restore thought it was worth $5 so I picked it up with the intent to make it pretty someday.
I had also picked up this curtain one day at the Restore for $1 and decided they would be a perfect match.  This curtain fabric is very thick and sturdy, kind of like canvas, but with more texture.  Perfect for upholstery!
I started with unscrewing the bench top and removing the padding and wood.  It was warped and cracked, you can see it on the left in the above photo.  I cut a scrap piece of plywood the same size, on the right above.
I had some foam that I cut down to size and placed on the new seat board.  You can see the old board and padding on the left.
For some reason I decided to use both the new and old padding.  Not sure if that is how it is supposed to be done, but I was winging it so I went for it.  It is really comfortable and soft, so I am happy I did.  I flipped it upside down onto some batting...
And stapled the batting into the wood.  Then I set it onto my curtain and cut my seat cover piece.
I wanted to try a fun design so I cut a diamond pattern with contact paper and put it on the curtain piece.  I mixed some orange paint with a textile medium (you can find these at any craft store) and...
Started painting!  You can see I decided to add a little modern twist and make one triangle grey.  I was amazed at how crisp the lines were!
While my fabric paint was drying, I painted two coats of the same grey paint onto the bottom of the bench.  This photo was after one coat.
I centered the fabric and started stapling.  I did all the straight edges and left the corners until the end. Then I trimmed them down and folded them over and secured with staples.  It may not be perfect, but I was happy with my first attempt!
You can see each corner was a little different...it makes me appreciate a good upholstery job, I will have to keep practicing!
I did some distressing on the base of the bench and sealed it with a coat of poly.  Once it dried I just had to drill some holes into the new wood seat and screw on the base.

All done!!
I love it!  Totally fun and fresh.
Some of my family think I should have done two grey diamonds, but some like it with one.  I think it gives it a little spunk.
What do you think?  How would you have done the diamonds?

This bench has now found a home at the foot of my bed, and I am loving it!

Hugs,
Mindi

I will be linking to these parties.

Share:

17 comments

  1. I like the diamonds just as they are! It adds a cool design element to the piece which I might add is beautiful! I love that you got that bench for 5 bucks! What an amazing find and that finish you created on the bench is gorgeous! I would say this is an A plus friend! I am glad you had a great spring break and I can't wait to see pictures of your projects you completed for your sister! Happy week to you! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curtains? Really? What a great way to think outside the box.....
    And did you know I did not know people used contact paper for stencils? Seriously. First time I have seen that done.....
    This would be terrific on my blog hop. Would you please come join the party?
    Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop
    Thanks much!! :)
    “hugs” Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to go shopping with you so I can find great deals. lol Love that bench and what a great idea to use contact paper as a stencil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I <3 your pattern!!!!! I have some curtains saved for a project like this. Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow totally awesome! I think the one grey really makes it fab and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what I like about you, is that you think outside the box(es). This is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've given it an amazingly new life! Love the design, only one grey diamond works for me too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bench turned out great and I love that you got that curtain for only $1! Love the gray diamond too! Thank you for sharing it and your cute beaded wreath at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week! ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, Mindi! So clever and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you did with this bench. I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful makeover and great tutorial! I'm so excited to see your project on Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super, super cute! I have quite a few re-purpose projects lined up. Hopefully I can find some time to do them but now that the snow is gone farming/gardening will take over most of our days again. They might have to wait until fall. Stopping by from The Clever Chick Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bench is so pretty. I love the added stenciling work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job Mindi! Look at you. Jack of all trades and apparently master of all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! This post will be featured over at Diana Rambles on Friday and has been pinned in the Featured at Diana Rambles board at Pinterest, Tweeted, and Recommended on G+. Please grab a featured button off my sidebar or via the link under the features. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mindi, This is a great makeover. I love the grey color you picked, such lovely work & end results. Pinned. Thanks for sharing at the party! Pinned. Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know what you mean about the price of upholstery fabric. Beautiful patterns but hardly the budget option! Thank you for the detailed photos and instructions, I have a stool languishing in the garage that's supposed to be reupholstered, your blog has given me the confidence to get on with it.

    Monique Fletcher @ Safeclean Hillingdon

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! I love to hear what you think!